The latest movie quiz at Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule (courtesy of Professor Hubert Farnsworth, pictured above) is the first I've been able to participate in for a while. Thanks, Professor (and Dennis) for managing to keep the movie quiz - which has become a sort of staple of SLIFR - so much fun for so long.
1) Best Movie of 2010
With a few outliers remaining to be seen, at this point it looks like I'm going to have to follow the herd and go with The Social Network.
2) Second-favorite Roman Polanski Movie
3) Jason Statham or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
The Rock is a likeable enough guy, but Statham has Snatch and the knowing homoeroticism between himself and Stallone in The Expendables that carries on the proud tradition of Tango and Cash. I'll go with Statham even though my girlfriend would probably leave me for him.
4) Favorite movie that could be classified as a genre hybrid
5) How important is foreknowledge of a film’s production history? Should it factor into one’s reaction to a film?
A movie has to be considered in the context of the time and place that produced it, but direct behind-the-scenes info seems peripheral to the movie's success or failure.
6) William Powell & Myrna Loy or Cary Grant & Irene Dunne
Cary Grant & Irene Dunne
7) Best Actor of 2010
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
8) Most important lesson learned from the past decade of watching movies
Despite the conventional wisdom that dumb is the safest commercial bet, most people really do want to see a good story told smartly when they go to the movies. It's just harder to sell smart than stupid.
9) Last movie seen (DVD/Blu-ray/theater)
On Blu-Ray, Natural Born Killers - so very 90s, but still effective as sensory overload, particuarly in hi-def. In theatres, Blue Valentine - painful to watch but brilliantly acted and beautifully shot.
10) Most appropriate punishment for director Tom Six
I suspect Six is a sadomasochist, so I'm not sure what kind of punishment he wouldn't enjoy. Perhaps to be met with indifferent shrugs?
11) Best under-the-radar movie almost no one else has had the chance to see
Black Moon, Louis Malle's 1975 post-apocalyptic retelling of Alice in Wonderland. Still unavailable on R1 DVD (it would be perfect for Criterion).
12) Sheree North or Angie Dickinson
13) Favorite nakedly autobiographical movie
All That Jazz
14) Movie which best evokes a specific real-life place
I agree with Anonymous - the 42nd Street I've visited in my lifetime is nothing like the one in Taxi Driver, but thanks to Scorsese I feel like I've been there too.
15) Best Director of 2010
David Fincher, The Social Network
16) Second-favorite Farrelly Brothers Movie
There's Something About Mary
17) Favorite holiday movie
My new favorite is Elf.
18) Best Actress of 2010
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
19) Joe Don Baker or Bo Svenson
My my my my Mitchell!
20) Of those notable figures in the world of the movies who died in 2010, name the one you’ll miss the most
21) Think of a movie with a notable musical score and describe what it might feel like without that accompaniment.
Without Cavalleria Rusticana, Raging Bull would be even bleaker than it already is.
22) Best Screenplay of 2010
The Social Network
23) Movie You Feel Most Evangelistic About Right Now
Synecdoche, New York. I could talk someone's ear off about everything I think and feel for hours or I can just pop that movie in the DVD player and spare us both a lot of time.
24) Worst/funniest movie accent ever
Thandee Newton as an alien in W.
25) Best Cinematography of 2010
26) Olivia Wilde or Gemma Arterton
27) Name the three best movies you saw for the first time in 2010 (Thanks, Larry!)
Fearless, Modern Romance, Zoolander
28) Best romantic movie couple of 2010
Ben Stiller and Greta Gerwig, Greenberg. They're so obviously, uncomfortably wrong for each other, and yet they're probably meant to be together.
29) Favorite shock/surprise ending
30) Best cinematic reason to have stayed home and read a book in 2010
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010). I actually fell asleep in the theatre (IRONY).
31) Movies in 2011 could make me much happier if they’d only ______________
retire the orange/blue trend in color timing.