Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Trim Bin #11


- Tonight is the Golden Globes telecast, the unofficial start of the televised awards season. I remember watching the Academy Awards as a child and being told by my mother that someday, I'd make it to Hollywood, be famous, and win awards. Mom meant well, but the whole concept of movie awards now seems so essentially corrupt and antithetical to real artistry that if I ever won anything, I'd question whether it was a sign of creative failure.

But will I watch the Oscars? Yeah, of course. Beats the Grammies.

- Check out this article about Eric Red, writer of The Hitcher and Near Dark, director of Body Parts, and possible murderer. Spooky.

- It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has a bone to pick with Crash. From an interview with David Cronenberg (who directed his own Crash ten years ago):

"I have now met Paul Haggis and he knows exactly how I feel. I thought it was a really stupid thing to do because when we both end up in the DVD racks together, it's going to be very confusing."

That's right, Haggis: watch your back or you're gonna get scanned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last sentence is genius.

-Moth