Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Trim Bin #23



- Life interceded this month and kept me quite busy, so I apologize for the recent lack of writing. I'm looking forward to returning to routine updates; movies took a backseat to life, and I haven't actually seen much (save for Inside Man, which was slick but disappointing). Thanks to all friends who have given support; I've got to admit it's getting better. Interestingly, the only film I found myself watching (and re-watching) during much of the past few weeks is Blue Velvet, and I'm prepared, after much thought, to declare it my favorite film. Look for an extensive argument for this choice very soon.

- This morning I went with Jess C. to a quiet spot along route 2A and made a film. It was, quite honestly, one of the most delightfully easy and rewarding directing experiences I've ever had. The light this morning was perfect, and Jess delivered a stirring, guileless performance. I can't wait to show it off (just needs a few trims and titles); I'd also like this to become a series of shorts in the same vein, so if anyone would like to sing to no music in the future, please let me know.

- On Friday night I discovered an inebriated film geek's Nirvana. Midnight Snack, hosted by Alan Cumming on IFC, presents a different offbeat movie each Friday at midnight. Of the film/host combos, this is by far the best. Friday night's film was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It's easily one of the worst films I've ever seen, and it changed my life forever. I immediately ordered a copy and look forward to exposing as many people as possible to this cinematic virus (and of course, to share with my devoted readers here).

- Which moments in cinema actually anger you with their sheer idiocy? This was inspired by catching a few minutes of The Phantom of the Opera on HBO and remembering how much I hate, hate, hate the voguing fancypants that shows up during the "Masquerade" scene. Really, how does Joel Schumacher keep getting work?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Joel Schumacher is history's greatest villian!"
Or so says Robot Chicken.

As for an example that comes to mind off the top of my head would be the somewhat notorious "Fuck You" from Session 9. I love the film, but that one delivery and the way in which it's shot is just ridiculous.