Thursday, October 19, 2006
The Trim Bin #44
- Kate sent me this video made by her stepbrother and our elementary school classmate. I idolized him then - we would repeatedly watch Halloween 4 and debate the merits of Pink Floyd vs. Nirvana. Now he's become an auteur - I'm completely blown away by how playful, inventive and exciting this is. Cheers, Dave - I can't wait to see what's next.
- Jack was kind enough to share a link to Subterranean Cinema - I don't know how I ever lived without it. If you want to download the El Topo soundtrack, watch Godard's Weekend in its entirety, or read the screenplay of the unfilmed, Romero-directed version of The Stand, this is the place to go.
- This week was a big one for Jess and I, as we made a significant step into the next stage of our life. That's right: we bought an HD-DVD player (Toshiba's A1, to be precise). It was completely worth it. Watching Jarhead, I could practically make out individual grains of sand. And Full Metal Jacket looks every bit as searing as the 35mm print that Jess, Doug and I saw a few months back. If you're willing to place a bet on a format that might be gone due to a format war or lack of interest within a few years, I recommend this one.
Now I must go about the daunting process of deciding what is HD-worthy (it's like "sponge-worthy," only geeky and sad).
- I'm embarrassingly captivated by Asia Argento's video blog.
- What are you watching this Halloween?
Films watched this week:
The Science of Sleep 8
Friday the 13th Part VI 5
Batman Begins 9
The Fly (1986) 10
Sleepy Hollow 8
The Dead Zone 10