Thursday, October 26, 2006
The Trim Bin #45
- Cinevistaramascope turns one today. I promise that my writing will be at least 13% better this year. Low overhead - we pass the savings on to you!
- The full trailer for Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo Del Toro's newest film, is here. I'm anxious to see it because Del Toro has become a stronger and more ambitious director with each film, and because if you've seen or read any interviews with the guy, you know that he is undoubtedly one of us. If Bravo repeats its 100 Scariest Movies special ad nauseum again this year, try to catch Del Toro talking about The Thing - the guy isn't faking it, he's a fullblown geek. And as I am also afflicted with geekdom, I'm always excited at the prospect of fully realized fantastic worlds. This film looks like it achieves that, and even better, it's not for the wee ones. The vibe I get is like Nightbreed, only much better; I can't wait to see if the film delivers on that promise.
- Tomorrow Jess and I will be embarking on a marathon viewing of Halloween 1-5 starting around 5:30, hopefully accompanied by a running blog commentary (if I think of anything interesting to say). Which slasher icon is your favorite? What is the strongest slasher series overall?
- Another holiday season begs the question: Why? Why? Why? Louis Black, you should know better. Amy Sedaris, I'm disappointed in you. Get bent, Martin Short.
- I hope The Gauntlet has been as fun for me as it was for you. Would anyone be interested in another game like this a while from now? Any suggestions for a new topic? I was thinking of worst movie; I'd like to see an argument about the merits of Leprechaun 4 vs. Troll 2.
- Finally, with October 31 just around the corner, it's important to remember this:
Films watched this week:
Ed Wood 10
Silver Bullet 5
Marie Antoinette 8
The Hidden 6
Week End 7
The Mummy (1932) 8
The Thing (1982) 10
The US Vs. John Lennon 6
The Nightmare Before Christmas 10