Monday, July 31, 2006

The Trim Bin #33

- My plans to write a review of Miami Vice (summary: sort of silly, extremely fun) were cut off by the trailer for The Departed, which came at just the right moment. Apparently the trailer actually went out with prints of Miami Vice, but Regal denied me the chance to see it on the big screen in favor of a football movie with The Rock. Anyway, this summer hasn't been as active, creatively, as last year - there hasn't been much going on, I haven't gotten any calls (we're through, Affleck), and there isn't anything on the horizon but another football movie with The Rock, oddly enough. So it was a nice little reminder of why I've chosen this life, or perhaps why it has chosen me. A few thoughts:

- The brief shot of a man falling from a building is from the scene I was present for, which features Matt Damon, Martin Sheen and (I think) Ray Winstone. I worked quite a bit less than on War of the Worlds (an hour on set, six waiting around), was used for only a few setups, and will likely be hidden behind an ambulance in the final cut. But I got to watch Scorsese direct for an hour. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

- "Brutal violence...strong sexual content...pervasive language" - good lord, I'm in a hard R!

In any case, this looks like classic Scorsese. I can't wait for it to come out in October and receive lukewarm reviews.

- Speaking of The Departed (and Infernal Affairs), I recently named Christopher Doyle one of the best cinematographers around. Unfortunately, he's also kind of a dick.

- And Mel Gibson is a huuuge dick.

- Read CHUD's interview with Brett Ratner. Pay particular attention to Ratner's comments about why X3 outgrossed Superman Returns. Weep.

- Alex Jackson's take on Eyes Wide Shut. I agree with half of his ideas and disagree with the other half. Try to guess which!

- Wiley Wiggins has a blog - and he's awesome!

- Hearts on fire, burning, burning with desire for the steel.

Films watched this week:

Mad Dog and Glory 7
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 9
The Devil Wears Prada 5
The Goonies 8
Miami Vice 8
Final Destination 3 7
Fright Night 9
Harry and the Hendersons 5
Friday the 13th Part 3 6

1 comment:

Joe said...

I'm with you on Wiggins blog- really well put together over all, and it's cool to see that he's just as smart as you would think the guy who starred in Waking Life would be.

I got so excited when I saw that Alex Jackson put a new review up (they've been somewhat sparse lately), but then I felt like an ass because I still haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut. Kubrick's one of my favorites, but I still haven't finished the whole filmography... shame on me, I know.